Wednesday 10 June 2009

Depression Obsession


There's an interview with Declan Burke over at Rafe McGregor's blog. Dec makes some very insightful comments on a range of crime fiction and literary topics. But the following really caught my eye:

"Ireland has just fallen out of a boom into a depression, and I think that’s going to have a very interesting effect on the kinds of books that are written over the next few years. In fact, it’s already provided the backdrop to three terrific novels – Gene Kerrigan’s Dark Times in the City, Declan Hughes’ All the Dead Voices, and Alan Glynn’s forthcoming Winterland."


And as of today, I have all three of the above mentioned books on my shelf. Thanks to Gemma Lovett from Faber for sending me the Winterland proof. Alan Glynn's second novel has garnered serious kudos from the likes of Ken Bruen, Allan Guthrie and, of course, Declan Burke. Can't wait to get stuck in.

In fact, I think I'll read the triumvirate of Celtic Tiger death throes in quick succession. And here was me thinking I was done with the prozac thing after I got over my David Peace binge...

2 comments:

Michael Stone said...

Why is it, when I see that heading, I want to add, "...and a diesel compression engine"?

Gerard Brennan said...

Mike - Heh, probably because you're one of the five people who read it. The thought crossed my mind too.